13 Burman, Mera Burman

A man died on this day, nineteen years back. I sometimes feel India wouldn't have dance parties or maybe even FM radio stations if not for Sachin Dev Burman's son. To remember Boss on his death anniversary, I thought I will list down thirteen of my favourites. How did I arrive/stop at thirteen? It is 2013, silly. And I cut off my fingers after thirteen. How else?

No explanations. No reasons. In no particular order. Here are my favourites from Rahul Dev Burman. Enjoy!

Aap ki aankhon mein - Ghar
Quite tragically, this song is from a movie about a woman who was raped on her way back from a movie. And her eyes held fragrant mysteries.






Aanewala pal - Golmaal
A fleeting moment is about to leave and it is up to us to create a memory out of it, before it is gone forever.





Aao twist karein - Bhoot Bangla
The classical wizardry of Manna Dey was given a 'twist' by Sachin-karta's 'modern' son. And there was no looking back.





Deewana mujhsa nahin - Teesri Manzil
Teesri Manzil is a perfect album. And in between the jazz and rock'n'roll, there was this dulcet, romantic number. Dreamy.






Ek ladki ko dekha - 1942 A Love Story
A beautiful girl was described in twenty-one lines. Actually, the girl wasn't described. Her lover's feelings were. And we all fell in love with him, all over again.





Humne tumko dekha - Khel Khel Mein
Sometimes I think if there has to be a face of RD's music, it is Rishi Kapoor.






Kya hua tera vaada - Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin
I wish marketers understand that 'youth' is not always happy. Sometimes, the young are sad. And sometimes, even a middle-aged Mohd Rafi can be the voice of the young.





Mera kuch saamaan - Ijaazat
One hundred and sixteen moonlit nights. Some false promises. The scent of wet henna. One genius composer. Please return them to me.






Pyar humein kis mod pe - Satte Pe Satta
There comes a time in every (male) college hostel when a newcomer feels unbearably lonely and homesick. Only five words can bring him back from the brink - "Chalo, ladkiyonko leke aate hain!"





Pyar karne waale - Shaan
Doston, zindagi haseen hai. Lekin sirf unke liye jinho ne pyaar kiya hain. Kyunki pyaar karne waale jaante hain aan baan aur shaan se jeena kisse kehte hain...


Masterji ki aa gayi chitthi - Kitaab
I know of no other lyricist who can weave words like VIP underwear baniyan and kachhua chhaap agarbatti in a film song. I know of no other composer who can use a school desk as the main (only?) musical instrument in a film song.


Tere bina zindagi se - Aandhi
Even without you, I have no complaints about life. But without you, can you call it a life. Sentimental fans can say these words truthfully about RD.





Tujhse naraaz nahin - Masoom
I am not angry with you, Life, merely baffled. Why did you let RD go when he was only 54?




Comments

Anonymous said…
Not being a troll.. but I never liked 'ek ladki ko dekha'. I remember, a friend buying the 'cassette' as soon as it was released, and playing it for us on his broken (1 speaker) tape recorder in hostel.. and we were wondering if he mistakenly got a 'bhajan' cassette instead of a RDB music. ( Lsten it again, and with all the ghanti/ghanta going on.. you'll know what I mean)
Khalil Sawant said…
VIP Underwear Banian are possibly Gulzar's worst lines
shIrIn said…
Great list. Most of my favourites are there too but especially aanewala Pal which I can keep listening on loop. And yes, noone else can add 'VIP underwear baniyan' in a song and get away with it except for Gulzar.
anand said…
Hi, just wondering about the translation "Even without you, I have no complaints about life". Should it not be 'Except you, I have no complaints about life" ? Tere bina (except you) and tere bagair (without you) mean different things. Sorry if this sounds like splitting hair...
@Anand - bina means without, I think. Except is siva, no?
Anonymous said…
I think you have to take both lines into account to get the meaning
Anonymous said…
You don't love " Roz roz aankhon tale"? :'-(